Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Obsession with Trophies

I never had trophies. Okay, I had one trophy for an essay contest that I won while I was in Latin class. I did not grow up here in the States so I never participated in the baseball, basketball, and pop warner programs that apparently satisfies everyone's desire for trophies.

Trophies for me mark achievements. A milestone you commemorate. You look at the trophy and you feel good about yourself. It might be the hunter in me. Instead of looking for the head of a deer or a seal, I instead look for glass or acrylic trophies that have the insignia or seal of some corporation or club group.

I am shallow. I embrace my shallowness. But I think that compared to gambling on football games or basketball games, my obsession is quite delightful.

I just finished the first step in my Toastmasters group. I am applying for the Certified Toastmaster level. So I decided that once I am approved, I will get the acrylic trophy and place it on my desk. At work, a ton of people place their trophies on their desks. Why shouldn't I?

Of course, I will have to buy the trophy myself. The Toastmasters group I am a part of is too poor to afford. You know what? I don't mind. I earned the darned thing. I prepared and gave ten speeches in front of people. That is not anything to sneeze about. In fact, there have been at least thirty people who have tried to come in. But, public speaking is never easy. It's challenging and sometimes a little bit intimidating.

So yes, I will get that acrylic trophy. It's either that or I have to shoot a seal.

1 comment:

infraternam meam said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

MALIGAYANG PASKO

FELIZ NAVIDAD

FELICES PASCUA

BUON NATALE

JOYEUX NOEL

TO YOU AND YOUR LOVE ONES!!