Saturday, June 14, 2003

Dinner last night was at Sinugba which is located on the Westborough exit at Daly City. This is my personal favorite when it comes to Pin@y restaurants simply because they never fail to deliver on the quantity and the quality of the food. I did notice that perhaps there has been a change in the owner. The boss last night was a different woman. There was also another change in that the time that the restaurant stays open has been changed to 11PM. What a great loss to Daly City. Maybe even Sinugba has been affected by the downturn in the economy. Gob Bless America and nowhere else!

The order last night was talong salad. It comes with bagoong, onions, tomatoes and eggplant that has been grilled. I first tasted this dish when the SO had a visitor staying with her from Dallas. We had come from the show of the Helobung Troupe sometime in February. Her visitor ended up buying $2000 worth of products. She ended up buying several T'boli mens clothing and some jewelry for women. I don't know if everything was tax deductible, but if it were me, I would have started a company just to do that.

Back to the food. The eggplant salad is a great dish if you like to mix your Pin@y food while eating. I usually enjoy the saltiness of the bagoong mixing in with the onion and the lovely acidity of the lemon. My mouth is watering as I write this. Nggg, ang asim!!!

The other dish I had was the TapSiLog which is composed of tapa, sinangag and itlog. The Silogs began sometime in the 1990's if I remember correctly. Basically, sinangag and itlog are the mainstays of the Pin@y meal. I first heard of the tapsilogs, longsilogs and tosilogs in Los Angeles when I was on my way to the airport. My family would take me to the airport and on the way there, we would end up going to breakfast / brunch. It became a sort of tradition for my family that whenever I left to go back to Berkeley, the longsilogs would be on the way.

The tapsilog was excellent. The beef was cut thinly and was cooked all the way through just like any dish cooked by a Pin@y. There is no medium rare in the Pin@y vocabulary. It is either cooked or burnt. The eggs were sunny side up and very delicious with the sinangag. The SO had halo-halo which was quite appropriate because we had finished watching Halo-halo II. The only problem was that we did not realize that they close now at 11PM. We overstayed our welcome.

No comments: