Saturday, April 03, 2004

Reality or What Passes for It

rundmb discusses how reality can be revisited and replayed in one's mind. I used to do that a lot. I was never truly happy about how the world was fashioned in its imperfect state. I used to daydream about making it better. The trouble I ran into was that I was beginning to spend more and more time in the dream state than in the reality state of mind. Looking back now, this is probably how people go mad. Little by litttle, they switch from reality into dreamscape.

With the advances in neurobiology, I can now just attribute the escape from reality into some overactive lobe of the brain. If scientists can determine that people in love have overactive regions of the brain, then other behavioral patterns must also have the same basis in the brain. But I suppose what people say about genius and madness being separated by a thin line is true.

No comments: