Sunday, August 24, 2003

The 10 year reunion.

The SO's reunion was last night at the Claremont Hotel . This was an elegant and classy location. Comparing it to the SO's sister's reunion which was held at the San Francisco Metreon is not even an option. The Claremont is just magnificent in its classiness and its panache. I wish I could get married there, but it becomes a silly issue of money. I believe it would be so extravagant that it would not be funny. Furthermore, I have let go of many desires. Or rather, I have more overriding desires such as becoming financially independent.

We ended up having dinner at Jordan's. The dinner was superb. The appetizers were twice-dipped fried softshell crab and an order of seared ahi tuna.

From their menu:

Sansho Pepper & Wasabi Crusted Tuna
Soba Noodles, Grated Daikon, Ginger, Tempura Sauce, Picked Vegetables

Jordan's Spicy Crab Cake
Carrot, Daikon & Orange Salad with Sweet and Sour Chile Vinaigrette

We ordered a white wine with the appetizer. The ahi tuna was good. However, Thompsons' tuna burger in Napa was a better and more delicate dish. This tuna was linear in taste. There was no complexity in texture in that the seared portion was the same texture as the raw portion. I believe it might be because the tuna was not the freshest or the best piece. The softshell crab was pure delight in contrast to the disappointment of the mediocrity of the tuna. The texture was crusty and contrasted well with the softshell crab. The spiciness was just right. It was definitely a sin to eat that crab. I had to only eat a quarter of the crab because I figure it was so good it can't be that good for your health. (Yes, there is a discrepancy. I was quite sure what we ordered was twice-dipped softshell crab, but I did not see it in their menu from the internet)

Earlier in the afternoon, I asked the SO if she wanted to eat at the restaurant or not. I was all good with a McDonald's dinner. i figured that they would have some finger food at the reunion. However, the right choice was to go to Jordan's. We fit right in with our formal wear. Other guests were semi-formally dressed too. I did not feel overdressed at all.

Sadly, I did not get the wine names. The main meal was composed of veal and lamb. From their menu:

Pan Roasted Rack of Lamb
Baby Fingerling Potatoes, Baby Vegetables, Truffle & Mustard Vinaigrette

Veal (Special of the Day)--Description not included

I always thought that the statement "it's so good it melts in your mouth" only applied to M&Ms. Well, apparently, there is a type of lamb which is so soft that you really don't have to bite that hard in order for it to meld with your taste buds. Absolutely awesome. I have to figure out where they get that lamb. It was tasty, medium rare and just right. I saw someone else order his lamb well done and it's just not that great. He was hacking away at the piece of meat as if he was carving a piece of stone.

I managed to taste the veal and it too was melting in my mouth. The SO said that the cow probably only moved an inch or so during its whole life. God Bless the agriculture industry and their messed up way of raising cattle that allows meat so soft to be served on a platter.

I grabbed a merlot with this dinner while the SO grabbed a cabernet sauvignon. You know, Jordans was very generous with their wine portions. They know that people drink so they gave you enough wine for two servings. Excellent! I had enough wine at the end of the meal that I had a good buzz going for about two hours.

Well, it's not as if I had to really talk to people, right? It's not my reunion.

REcommendation: Jordans receives the crooked thumbs up from me. If you are in the Oakland hills area, drop by and dine in. It's fantastic.

No comments: