Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Pin@ys Are Everywhere

I love the fact that just about anywhere I go, there are Pin@ys. Today, I was calling a shareholder company and I was connected to Customer Service who sounded like a Pinay. I was going to ask, but thought that since the conversation was being recorded that I should not. I did not want to make the person self-concious.

But guess what! In the middle of my wait, she asked, "Sir, can I ask you one question?" I replied, "Of course."

"Are you Filipino?"

"Yes I am. I was going to ask you the same question." I replied with a gigantic smile.

In that instant, I could feel a connection of being Pinoy with a woman who immigrated from the Philippines many years ago. In one question, we both made a shared the problems and challenges of living in America. In her nice Filipina way of speaking, I was reassured that everything was going to be alright in this confusing place called life. Hopefully, in my Filipino accent, she did not feel as alone in the US as one might think.

There is of course one caveat. What if the Filipina is actually living in the Philippines? There have been news about American companies moving customer service into Asia. I wonder if I made a connection with a Filipina answering phones in the middle of the night so that she would have a job for an American company.

Ay buhay!!!

No comments: