Monday, February 23, 2004

Shirts and the like Part 2

After one week of having to wear shirts at work, I decided that it might be time to buy into the corporate image and wear shirts as a daily routine. I figured that it would be more professional and more inoffensive. Besides, after wearing t-shirts for the last twenty years in America, I can begin a new phase in life.

But, work shirts or button shirts are not inexpensive. Whenever I have gone to Macy's, shirts usually are in the $35-$45 range. If you want brand name like Dior, Bill Blass, or Lauren, you might as well kiss your whole salary away. As I previously wrote, one option is to go to Costco a large wholesaler of merchandise from electronics to food to clothing. With the buying power of the store, the savings are passed onto the consumer. And what savings you can have! Typical button down shirts can be bought for as low as $13-$15. Name brand shirts can be as low as $20 to $25.

Another option is Ross "Dress for Less." It is a store that sells last year's clothing styles. But the bargains can be mind boggling. Dior shirts which cost $70 can be bought for $20. Some of the wool blend pants from other designers can be priced at $22 when they were originally selling for $90. I was in hog heaven!

The first Ross I went to was within walking distance of my domicile. I ended up purchasing five shirts for about $60. I selected shirts that were colorful but ones that did not cause the eyes to bleed. I went with mostly silk or silk blends that can be worn with jeans. I still have to buy pants. I can't believe you can buy silk shirts for $20. It used to cost an arm and a leg. As I was checking out, the cashier gave my taste a compliment. "I have to stop and give you a compliment because these are nice shirts," he said. I spoke briefly to him about my first day at work and having to dress professionally. He agreed that wearing nice shirts is a nice change of pace from wearing t-shirts.

The SO and I had originally planned on going to Ross in the afternoon. But I cheated and went in the morning so that she did not have to drive so far. It turns out that she wanted to shop for her clothes. So off we went to a larger Ross store. This time around, it was evening so it was not as crowded as usual. I ended up buying some more button down shirts and pants. The SO went on a shopping spree buying at least four pairs of pants and three or more shirts. The total damage was $100. I can't believe that it was so reasonable. Her shirts were even cheaper than mine.

God, I love America.

No comments: