Monday, October 13, 2003

What the hell. This is my blog. I might as well be controversial. If others want to respond, you might as well create your own blog.

I randomly searched for an old posting of mine so that I could post it in this blog. I chose page 6 of the groups.google site. I came up with this:



From: gldnbear@uclink.berkeley.edu (__________)
Subject: even in scf, i can't get attention away from white people!
Date: 1998/02/24
Message-ID: <6ctvbf$ff$1@agate.berkeley.edu>#1/1
References: <6cm7i5$mlb$1@excalibur.flash.net> <19980221112501.GAA11716@ladder03.news.aol.com> <6cnolo$94m@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>
Organization: University of California at Berkeley
Newsgroups: soc.culture.Filipino


BillyBob wrote:
>Just take you web site advertising else where and let the rest of us get on
>with bashing Tim and Rhett.

You know, i was thinking the same thing. this damned newsgroup is
soc.culture.filipino. if anyone should be godDAMNED harassed in here, it
should be godDAMNED filipinos. white people should not have to be
attacked in this forsaken forum. All the attacks should be directed to me
and me alone!!! DAMMIT!!!

of course, i don't have a website which supposedly advocates the use of
filipinas as a trophy. But hey!!! I got a pscyhocyberpersonality. That
deserves something!!!

RetongSukatangBukatang



One objection that I have about soc.culture.filipino is that it has been taken over by white people. Whites are more vocal, more at ease at expressing their opinions than Filipno immigrants. There are some Pin@ys out there who can hold their own, but from my experience in soc.culture.Filipino, I would say that they are colonized and afraid to have to deal with the seemingly convincing but faulty logic that some white posters use. In my personal experience, I took me years to dissect just exactly was wrong with the logic.
Sometimes, I could not answer within seven days, and I always thought that I failed to defend my opinions and felt that I agreed with the white posters because of my silence. But I knew, I just KNEW that the logic was incorrect. I just could not pinpoint where the logical fallacy was.

I wish I could be like Al Franken who can be witty and capable of producing citations. I wish I had the time. However, as Franken said in this latest book "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, " when you chase down citations and notations, you will find truth and lies (I paraphrase).

Jan Stephenson made some statement about Asians and the LPGA and how Asians are bad for the LPGA for not being available for promotions. She said that she did not mean for it to be a racist remark. The follwing remark is from a story by the website SportsCanada.com.

"If I were commissioner, I would have a quota on international players and that would include a quota on Asian players," Stephenson told the magazine. "As it is, they're taking American money. American sponsors are picking up the bill. There should be a qualifying school for Americans and a qualifying school for international players. I'm Australian, an international player, but I say America has to come first. Sixty per cent of the tour should be American, 40 per cent international."

Rush Limbaugh made comments about how the liberal media desperately wants Donovan McNabb to be a successful black quarterback.

"overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

"There's a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."


These quotes are from Slate's Allen Barra
. Check out his opinion.

I have heard it said by white people from soc.culture.filipino and from newspapers and other media sources that there is no race problem in America. I look at the above statements and I have to point at them and say that these statements seem to be a symptom of a race problem.

I believe that these people say these things and to them it is not racist. But from my perspective as a colonized minority, it sure smells, feels and acts like racist statements. I can only attribute their statements to ignorance which is the fertile soil from which racism springs like weeds.

A caller to the the Rick Barry Show in the SF/Oakland radio show said something along the lines that Kobe Bryant is not as black as some of the blacks who live in Oakland (presumably because he lived as the son of a basketball star in Italy). I look at Kobe Bryant and see his dark skin and curly hair and he sure as hell looks black to me. How in the name of St. Jude can a white person make a statement like that? Ignorance.

I attribute the attitude of white people who say there is no race problem to ignorance. I would also attribute their dismissal of this topic to laziness. They do not want to deal with it.

It is interesting to note however, that when white people perceive that whites are getting the short end of the stick, i.e., OJ Simpson and affirmative action, suddenly fairness has to come into play.

I rejoiced at the OJ Simpson verdict because I believe for the first time, a lot of white people experienced INJUSTICE. We all know that OJ did it. But his lawyers were some of the best minds money can buy. MONEY makes the world go round. At least that saying held true with OJ the black man.

Affirmative action is being systematically dismantled because there is no more racism. Qualified white candidates are not getting in because of unqualified minorities. That certainly is one way of seeing the world. Another way of seeing the world is that more minorities are being educated such that they can SUE in the courts and win in the courts. They are changing the face of legal rights for minorities. Attack the source of that problem by denying minority population's way of getting higher education, i.e., affirmative action and you can delay the eventual political power that minorities will have because of their increase in population.

I saw on television that Ward Connerly had three Caucasian grandparents and one black one. I can't help wonder but wonder the following. Does Ward Connerly want to be a white person. The one minority grandparent made him black because of the dominant genes. Does Ward Connerly hate the way he looks?

At any rate, from my perspective, there is a race problem in America. And we better all start acknowledging the 5 ton elephant in the living room.

No comments: