Monday, March 08, 2004

Me and My Big Mouth

While at a party for a A'sand H's 25th wedding anniversary, my big mouth was on cruise control. The SO told me that I tended to manipulate the conversation and to not let people talk. Yes, sometimes I do this. I tend to try to be more subdued at work. But the monkey inside wants to perform. If the monkey gets bored, he tends to start amusing himself.

It's difficult talking to people and trying to get them to talk about themself. I think I am very interesting and amusing so I always say things whenever the conversation slows down. But sometimes, I see that I have to tease out the soul of people. Try to get them to see their own beautiful Pin@y side. The monkey sometimes forgets that other people were not born in the sign of the monkey.

I saw several graduate students in the party. They are either finishing up or in the middle of the slog. I hope they make it to the end. The process can be difficult and lonely. I remember that at several points, I almost quit because of the bullshit. What kept me going was the fact that people dumber than I am were getting their degrees. If they can do it, why can't I?

Cheers to A and H. 25 years of togetherness! Cheers to H's 50th birthday. May you have many more.


No comments: