Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Pader, Pader

The SO's little brother has been going through some interesting times. He is in college about to get out into the wide world and he does not know how to tell his father that he does not want to be a computer scientist. He has spent four years with one more year to go for a degree in computer science engineering.

At 21 years old, he sees the world with clarity. There are no bruises from the hands of life. Every single person you meet is a friend. Enemies are something made up by Republicans like George W Bush. Truth will conquer evil. Etcetera, etcetera.

The little brother does not yet know how to communicate effectively with his father. There is a lot of fear. After all, if one spent the last four years to please someone, why can one not just continue doing it? And here lies one of sweet life's dillemmas. When do you tell your parents that you don't want to pursue what you think they want you to do?

Of all the people, I thought the little brother would have the courage before anyone else. It just goes to show you that when you think you will be disappointing your parents, it gets pretty hard to open one's mouth.

Little brother also does not know how to talk to his father. I just shake my head at this lost opportunity. My father passed away when I was a teen-ager. What I would give to be able to ask him about his childhood, his teen-age years. How do you woo women? How do you drink alcohol so that you don't get drunk? What about those stories of World War II? Now that I am a man, can you tell them to me?

I believe my graduation present will be to talk with the SO's little brother and point out that parents are not immortal. You will lose them someday. Take advantage and enjoy their life stories now. It is better to speak to someone now and suffer through some discomfort than having to chase a ghost, an image that no one really knows.

So for those readers out there who have paders and maders, go and give them a call right now. I can only call mine in a dream.

No comments: