Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Bonsai Wrap-Up.

But listen to the raven-haired beauty talk! We are here for dining tips, darn it. Well, I ordered the 3rd level sashimi which is composed of tuna, salmon, octopus, mackerel, yellowtail and roe. I also ordered two each of the unagi, and the yellowtail sushi and the crab roll. Bonsai is a great restaurant because they give you good slices of fish for a cheap price. The sashimi was fresh and excellent. In the beginning of eating sushi, I could not taste the delicateness of the fish. Blame that on the coke that I was drinking. But now, I can differentiate between the taste of yellowtail and the fatty salmon.

The tuna had a beautiful redness to the meat. It was firm and not too stringy. Excellent taste with the soy sauce and the wasabi. The salmon was fatty and delicious. The color was a vibrant orange with stripes of white (probably fat). The octopus was probably already cooked because it was tender and white. It was probably the worst of the bunch because of its thicknes in cut and its texture. But one can get used to it quickly. The roe was an extra that usually does not come with the order. The mackerel with lemon was exquisite. I ate the lemon slice with the mackerel cut and the concatenation of the food in my mouth was an experience. It was a mixing of lemon with mackerel. It's like cooking something in your mouth. Yeah, that's it! I was wokking in my mouth.

The unage came and it was still quite warm. There is a beauty to popping the sushi in your mouth and having the heat permeate your tongue, your cheeks and your face. Then as you bite into the sushi, the explosion of taste. Ahhh, what kind of wine goes with this? Probably you need sake, eh? The spider roll was a crunchy bite and a great contrast to the softness of the sashimi and sushi.

All in all, I recommend Bonsai in the city of Oakland. Excellent food with excellent service. 4 out of 5 oxtails.

No comments: